Vice President of Engineering / Chief Engineer
The Vice President of Engineering / Chief Engineer reports to the Senior Vice President for Aircraft Development. This position will be responsible for directing the work of the Directors of Program Management, Preliminary Design, Propulsion, Systems, Structures, Flight Sciences, Interiors, Test and Certification. This individual will initially develop a strong understanding of the technical performance and certification requirements a new Part 25 aircraft, specifically as it applies to the realm of supersonic flight. In the early phase of this program, this role will select and on-board key members of his engineering leadership team, integrate existing members of the team, and fine-tune plans for design, build and certification of our world class supersonic aircraft.
- Define the overarching design, analysis, test and certification approach for the AS2 supersonic business jet
- Make the final decision to resolve high level / high impact engineering issues
- Build, lead and manage all parts of Aerion’s engineering organization and direct the management of external engineering teams
- Foster a culture that inspires high levels of performance and employee retention
- Prioritize and allocate budget and resources for the engineering team
- Ultimately will set annual goals and pro-actively analyze metrics to drive process improvements within engineering
- Effectively partner with the Vice President of Operations and other members of the executive team to balance and achieve company goals
- Maintain strong communications about project status to the executive team and board of directors
The successful candidate will be respected in the aerospace engineering community as a highly organized self-starter who has direct hands-on experience developing and building Part 25 aircraft, from initial concept through flight testing and certification, with the technical breadth necessary to oversee all functions within the engineering team. He/She must have strong experience as an organizational leader with a proven track record of hiring and overseeing highly talented and successful aerospace engineering teams.
In this leadership role, the candidate must be proactive, forward thinking and self-motivated with the ability to build and lead a team of like-minded engineers. In addition, the candidate must have experience leading and managing integrated product teams with off-site and sub-contracted resources.
The candidate must also be effective at providing status updates, developing technical and programmatic presentations, and have the skills necessary to present to customers, suppliers, company leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated success leading an engineering organization with multiple functional areas
- Thorough understanding of Part 23 and/or Part 25 certification requirements
- Ability to read, understand and interpret the results of engineering analyses
- Demonstrated success leading highly empowered teams and working with a diverse group of people at every level in an organization
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and management
- Ability to drive accountability appropriately within the organization
- Strategic thinker with very strong decision making and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action, and excellent problem solving skills across multi-disciplinary skill sets
- Experience in a global environment working with customers and suppliers.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Project, as well as with ERP Systems
- Good understanding of financial reports and analysis
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- 15+ years of direct experience in the design, development, build, qualification, test and certification of Part 23 or 25 aircraft
- High-end business jet experience highly desired
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership roles of increasing responsibility, up to at least a Director level role
COMPENSATION AND OPPORTUNITY
This position offers the opportunity to function as a key player in a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial organization developing a new and innovative aircraft. A competitive compensation and benefits package design to attract the highest caliber talent will be available for this position. An in-depth background check will be run on any candidate prior to receiving a job offer, and the offer of employment is contingent on the results of this background check.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.