Director of Flight Sciences
The Director of Flight Sciences reports to the Vice President of Engineering/Chief Engineer. This position will be responsible for leading and supervising all activities related to the technical design of the Aerion AS2 supersonic business yet, which includes but is not limited to:
- Aircraft Performance
- Flight Loads
- Stability and Control
- Mass properties
- Flutter and Vibration
The Director of Flight Sciences will be responsible for planning and executing independent research and development projects (IRAD) in support of the AS2 development program. He/she will be responsible for hiring and developing talent to augment and seamlessly integrate with our world-class Flight Sciences team. The selected candidate will help to define the product development strategy and lead a large team of engineers, scientists, and analysts in that effort. She/he will prioritize the allocation of the Flight Sciences team’s resources to meet the milestones of the aerodynamic design, from concept through certification. Budgetary responsibility and resource planning will be required for each discipline.
- Lead overall aerodynamic design and optimization of AS2 supersonic business jet
- Lead and supervise team of multi-disciplined Flight Sciences personnel and partners in technical support of the AS2 supersonic business jet from concept to product certification
- Provide support to the various System’s and Structures IPTs in support of their development and certification
- Lead and supervise low and high speed wind tunnel test planning and execution for the program
- Manage mass properties activity during the complete design cycle
- Provide subject-matter expert level guidance on both practical and theoretical aerodynamic aircraft design
- Provide support for engineering, certification, and flight test departments from concept to product certification
- Foster a culture that inspires high levels of performance and employee retention
The successful candidate will have a commanding and fundamental understanding of the design and development of fighter and/or business jet class aircraft, preferably with experience developing supersonic vehicles. The candidate should have expert level knowledge of the necessary physics based trades for supersonic designs and the regulatory requirements that apply to such aircraft. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience in wind tunnel testing from low speed to high speed regimes (preferably supersonic), data acquisition systems, design of experiments, computational fluid dynamics, propulsion integration (preferably supersonic), flight test support, and stability and control.
This candidate will be collaborative, action-oriented with a strong “can do” attitude toward even difficult technical and people problems. In this leadership role, the candidate must be proactive, forward thinking and self-motivated with a strong ability to build and manage a dynamic team of highly effective, like-minded engineers, both internal and external to the organization. Experience leading teams is a must. The candidate must effective at providing status updates, developing technical and programmatic presentations, and have the skills necessary to effectively present data and solutions to customers, suppliers, company leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Proven success leading Flight Sciences teams
- Known and respected in the technical professional community for expertise in aerodynamics research, design, and testing
- Experience designing and developing supersonic aircraft
- Strong customer focus with experience in a global environment working with customers and suppliers
- Strong/proven problem solving skills across multi-disciplinary skill sets
- Ability to read, understand and interpret the results of engineering analyses
- Strategic leader with very strong decision making and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action, and excellent problem solving skills across multi-disciplinary skill sets
- Demonstrated success leading highly empowered teams and working with a diverse group of people at every level in an organization
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and management
- Ability to drive accountability appropriately within the organization
- Experience with Microsoft Office software
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a mechanical/aerospace engineering
- Master’s or Ph.D. in a technical specialty strongly preferred
- 15+ years of deep, hands-on experience in multiple Flight Sciences areas of aircraft design/analysis, with strong knowledge in all other areas mentioned above
- Experience and expertise in the development of fighters, supersonic aircraft and/or high-end business jets strongly desired
- Minimum of 5+ years of demonstrated experience leading technical resources and teams, both internally and externally, as well as both on-site and off-site
COMPENSATION AND OPPORTUNITY
This position offers the opportunity to function as a key player in a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial organization developing a new and innovative aircraft. A competitive compensation and benefits package design to attract the highest caliber talent will be available for this position. An in-depth background check will be run on any candidate prior to receiving a job offer, and the offer of employment is contingent on the results of this background check.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.